While avocados are delicious and good for you, their best trait might be how versatile they are in meals and snacks. Here’s one of our very best and favorite meals with avocado: Mexican Chicken Traybake.
How To Make Mexico Chicken Traybake
This recipe makes enough for 4 people.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 4 chicken thighs and 4 drumsticks
- 1 jar tomato salsa (or 1 can chopped tomato and onion)
- 1 red onion
- 3 red and yellow peppers
- 500 grams pumpkin or butternut squash
- 200 grams mixed cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
For the chili lime cream:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 160 grams sour cream
- 2 teaspoons chili or hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Fresh coriander
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut open both avocados and remove the pits. Peel one and slice it thinly. Take the second avocado, remove the skin, and mash the fruit into a paste. Set aside.
- Take your pumpkin and remove the seeds, peel it, and cut it into wedges. Cut your red onion into wedges and thinly slice your peppers after de-seeding them as well.
- Rinse and dry the chicken.
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken in the taco seasoning.
- Choose a deep casserole dish and spoon tomato salsa over the base. Next, place the pumpkin, peppers, tomatoes, and onion over the salsa. Lastly, add the chicken on top. Drizzle everything in the casserole dish with oil.
- Place your casserole dish in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, turning occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is golden brown. When the casserole is done, set it aside for 5 minutes to rest.
- To make the chili-lime cream, combine the sour cream, lime juice, and chili sauce in a small bowl—season to taste.
- Place the avocado slices and coriander on top of the chicken traybake. Drizzle some of the chili-lime cream over it. Serve the meal with the remaining cream and mashed avocado on the side.
Why We Love Mexican Chicken Traybake
Not only is this chicken traybake oh so tasty and full of nutritional goodness, but it’s also relatively easy to make after a little prep work. To top it all off, this is a one-pan recipe, so clean-up is an absolute breeze! Have you tried this recipe? What’s your favorite avocado recipe? We want to know!