We found the best shrimp and avocado pizza recipe. June in California is Avocado Month, and one of the events held this year was a recipe contest. Mary Beth Porucznik took home the $1,000 prize and $400 restaurant gift card with a fantastic recipe that harnesses some of the abundant fresh, local produce available across California this time of year. California Avocado Month seeks to highlight avocados during June when the growing season is at its peak.
Read on for a summer-ready meal that’s as delicious as it is aesthetically pleasing.
California Shrimp and Avocado Pizza
This recipe serves 4 and takes an hour and 35 minutes to prepare.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 lb pizza dough or prepared pizza crust
- ½ lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 ½ limes
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 clove garlic
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup pickled onions
- ¼ cup pickled jalapenos
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chipotle pepper adobo
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- Place a pizza stone in the oven. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit for at least an hour.
- Whisk together all sauce ingredients until well combined and set aside.
- Combine garlic, chipotle peppers, juice from one lime, salt, ½ cup olive oil, and sugar in a blender and blend well. Place this marinade in a large bag with the shrimp and marinate for at least 30 minutes. For best results, marinate overnight.
- Remove shrimp from the marinade and grill on medium heat for 2 minutes on one side, then flip and cook another 2 minutes on the other side. The shrimp should turn bright pink. Set these aside.
- In a small bowl, combine chipotle pepper adobo, half of the cilantro, agave nectar, juice from ½ a lime, and the rest of the olive oil. Whisk until mixed well and set aside.
- On parchment paper, gently stretch pizza dough to the size of the pizza stone and pierce with a fork all over. Bake dough on the pizza stone for 8 to 10 minutes, until the crust is slightly browned. (If you don’t have a pizza stone, bake for 15 minutes on a baking sheet).
- Remove the crust from the oven and allow it to cool. Once cool, top the crust with the ricotta sauce mixture. Remove the pit and skin from the avocado and place slices on top of the sauce. Next, add grilled shrimp, pickled onion and jalapeno slices, and cilantro evenly across the pie.
- Lightly drizzle the chipotle oil mixture and leftover agave on the avocado pizza.
- Cut the remaining lime into wedges and serve with the avocado pizza.