If you’re a bit bored with your typical lunchtime routine, switch it up with an interesting rainbow salad. Now, a salad may not sound too exciting, but we promise this one is. The best part is you can make this avocado hummus rainbow salad in a jar the night before so you can grab it and go to work or play the next day.
How To Make An Avocado Hummus Rainbow Salad
This recipe makes one serving of avocado hummus salad as your main meal or 2 servings as side dishes.
For the salad:
- 2 cups leafy greens
- 1 cup shredded beans, carrots, and fennel
- ½ cup quinoa
- ¼ cup nuts and seeds
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
For the avocado hummus:
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch of ground cumin
- Sea salt to taste
To make the avocado hummus:
- Place the chickpeas into a food processor with an S-blade. Pulse several times to puree.
- Next, add the olive oil, lemon juice, tahini, and garlic. Pulse until almost smooth.
- Add the avocado to the processor and blend until completely smooth.
- Add cumin (or substitute cayenne pepper) and blend.
- Taste the mixture and season with salt as desired. Add more lemon juice if you want. Make sure all ingredients are well blended.
- Transfer the mixture to an airtight container and drizzle more lemon juice over the top to prevent browning.
To assemble the salad:
- Place the shredded vegetables in a medium bowl and toss with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Set aside.
- In your jar, add olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and quinoa. Next, put in veggies, then avocado hummus.
- On top of that, place olives, greens, and then the nuts/seeds.
- Seal with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate until you’re ready to eat it. Though served best the next day, the avocado hummus salad will keep for several days in the refrigerator.